Do I Need Extra Insurance for My Drone?

If you have a personal drone you may need extra liability insurance. Some homeowner or renter insurance policies include damages caused by model or hobby aircraft and some specifically exclude such damages. If they are excluded, you may want to get additional liability insurance. You will need to register your drone with the FAA in order to be covered. Insurance can also cover the value of your drone if it is stolen. Check with your policy to see if your insurance covers it.

Key Takeaways:

  • Your drone may or may not be covered by your current insurance.
  • If it is damaged by a car, it may be covered by car insurance.
  • Insurance companies are liable to continue changing their policies regarding drones, so it is important to stay aware of their most current policies.

“The Insurance Information Institute recommends checking your insurance coverage for drones frequently because insurers continue to develop their coverage as drones become more popular and the technology evolves.”

Read more:

Comments are closed.